Selected Project Experience
Main Focus: Human, civil & socio-political rights- Pakistan.
Name: Identification Mission for HUMAN RIGHTS PROGRAMME – PAKISTAN.
Objective: The overall objective of the Identification Mission was to explore and identify interventions/alternatives through which the EU can support the GoP and build its capacity to mainstream human rights and fundamental freedoms in Pakistan with a reasonable expectation of sustainability in the long run and potential complementarities with the programmes of other donors active in the governance sector as well as with the EIDHR-funded projects.
The Identification Mission assessed and identified areas of intervention and actions that are conducive to achieving the expected result in terms of the GoP's capacity to (i) monitor human rights abuses and violations in the country; (ii) audit human rights compliance issues in legislation, policies, plans, practices and procedures to ensure respect for human rights by state actors; (iii) ensure the effective implementation of the international human rights instruments Pakistan has adhered to and in order to fulfill state obligations; (iv) guarantee that a human rights approach is followed in forthcoming legislations, (v) assure a human rights based approach in its development policies; (vi) protect and promote civil, political and socio-economic rights, and (vii) work with different stakeholders to meet its international accountability and obligations through public and inclusive work processes and reporting.
The Consultants were responsible to:
· conduct an in-depth analysis of the "human rights sector" (human rights defenders, NGOs, individuals, state institutions, etc.) covering its challenges and opportunities, and its weaknesses, problems and shortcomings. The roles of different actors should be reviewed and assessed;
· identify possible links and synergies of the proposed
programme with existing or planned programmes of other donors in the same
sector and following also the recently developed EU human rights analysis and
· prepare a Terms of Reference (ToRs) for the Formulation Mission.
· provide recommendations, with a prioritised list of possible areas where the EU could intervene and a proposal of alternatives or models.
· prepare a full report containing in-depth situation analysis of current state institutions linked to human rights issues.